Jennifer Brust is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman and represents clients in commercial and civil litigation, banking, bankruptcy, creditors’ rights, construction litigation, real estate disputes, and government contract litigation. She actively litigates in the state, federal and bankruptcy courts in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
Jennifer has first-chaired numerous jury and bench trials and has argued several cases before the Virginia Supreme Court. She has significant experience representing corporate clients in complex contract and other business and commercial disputes, including breaches of fiduciary duty and fraud in corporate governance, as well as representing lending institutions in creditor bankruptcy cases, loan workouts, foreclosures, asset seizure and recovery, and related litigation. Jennifer also has experience as a Court-Appointed Receiver and has served as a Commissioner-in-Chancery since 1996.
Jennifer lectures extensively on various civil litigation topics including creditors’ rights and discovery issues.
Beyond the Suit
Jennifer is the mother of two young adults, two cats and one crazy dog. When not in the courtroom litigating, she enjoys working out and gardening. She also aspires to improve her struggling golf game.
- Represented a commercial condominium owner against an adjacent owner and administrator regarding a dispute over an REA.
- Represented a property owner against the general contractor in a commercial construction litigation dispute.
- Represented a national title insurance company in a dispute with the property owner over land use and restrictive covenants.
- Represented a developer in a dispute with Arlington County over land use and transferable development rights.
- Represented an oriental medicine and acupuncture school in a dispute over the operation and management of the school.
- Represented an individual member of a government contractor consulting firm in a business divorce regarding the distribution of profits under an operating agreement.
- Represented a corporation and its ESOP in a dispute with the former officers regarding the breach of fiduciary duties under ERISA and state law.
- Represented U.S. Airways, Inc. in a multi-million dollar business interruption claim.
- Defended a commercial real estate developer in an $18 million breach of contract action.
- Defended a national retail pharmaceutical company in a $20 million breach of contract action.
- Represented a limited liability company against Cable & Wireless, Inc. in a breach of contract action.
- Represented creditors with multi-million dollar claims in the In Re: Jefferson Mills, Inc. bankruptcy, the In Re: U.S. Airways bankruptcy, and the In Re: Orbital Sciences Corporation bankruptcy.
- Represented many small businesses in business “break-ups” in the government contracting, restaurant, real estate and professional services industries.
- Served as a Court-Appointed Receiver taking over troubled and mismanaged businesses.
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia, 1994
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 1988
Princeton University, A.B., 1984
Adjunct Professor, George Mason University School of Law, Secured Finance, 2010 – Present
- Course explores the law and economic consequences of secured finance with a focus on the Uniform Commercial Code’s Article 9.
Awards and Honors
Virginia Business, Legal Elite in Civil Litigation, 2019-2020
Arlington Magazine, Top Attorney – Litigation, Bankruptcy/Creditor’s Rights, 2019
Named to the Inaugural Class of ‘Influential Women of Law’ by Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2019
Named an “Influential Woman in Virginia” by Virginia Lawyers Media, 2013
Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2010 – 2022
Best Lawyers in America in Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2010 – 2022
Northern Virginia magazine, Top Lawyer, 2013
Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, distinction of Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
The Arlington Sports Foundation (Board of Directors, 2018)
Arlington County Bar Foundation (Board of Directors, 2013 – present)
Arlington County Bar Foundation (Treasurer and Chair of Investment Committee, 2016 – present)
Arlington County Bar Association (Board of Directors, 1992 – 2000; President, 1998 – 1999)
Virginia State Bar (Bar Council, 2001 – 2007; Standing Committee on Legal Ethics, 2001 – 2007)
Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association
Commissioner in Chancery for Arlington County Circuit Court
Arlington Street People’s Network (Volunteer)
- Fifteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2022 Best Lawyers in America and Five Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Thursday August 19, 2021
- Jennifer Brust Awarded Campbell-Smith-Thompson Award by the Arlington County Bar Foundation
Arlington County Bar Foundation, Friday December 18, 2020
- Thirteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2021 Best Lawyers in America and Three Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Thursday August 20, 2020
- Twenty-six Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as Top Attorneys by Arlington Magazine
Friday October 18, 2019
- Eleven Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2020 Best Lawyers in America
Thursday August 15, 2019
- Jennifer Brust Named to Inaugural Class of ‘Influential Women of Law’ by Virginia Lawyers Weekly
Wednesday January 16, 2019
- Ten Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2019 Best Lawyers in America
Wednesday August 15, 2018
- Nine Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2018 Best Lawyers in America
Tuesday August 22, 2017
- Eight Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2017 Best Lawyers in America
Monday August 15, 2016
- Eight Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2016 Best Lawyers in America
Monday August 17, 2015
- New Managing Shareholders Elected
Wednesday April 1, 2015
- Eight Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2015 Best Lawyers in America
Monday August 18, 2014
- Eight Attorneys Recognized as 2014 Best Lawyers in America
Thursday August 15, 2013
- Jennifer Brust Named an Influential Woman of Virginia by Virginia Lawyers Media
Thursday March 14, 2013
- Bean, Kinney & Korman Women’s Attorneys’ Group Donates Over 100 Items of Clothing to Dress for Success
Friday October 12, 2012
- Nine Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Best Lawyers
Thursday August 23, 2012
- Seven Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2012 Best Lawyers
Friday September 9, 2011
- Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as First-Tier Law Firm For Family Law and Family Law Mediation
Monday September 27, 2010
- Jennifer Brust and James Schroll will teach Secured Finance at George Mason University School of Law
Thursday August 12, 2010