George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1981
University of Virginia, B.P., 1978
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1981
David Houston is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman practicing in the areas of zoning and land use, commercial leasing and real estate development. He regularly provides in-depth zoning and land use analysis and counsel on a variety of complex development issues to land developers, owners, companies and institutions.
David has significant commercial leasing experience representing both landlords and tenants in transactions ranging from specialty retailers, theaters, restaurants, to in-line retail stores in regional malls, neighborhood shopping centers, and mixed use street-level locations.
Arlington Magazine, Top Attorney - Land Use/Zoning, 2019
Chambers USA, Leading Real Estate Attorney in Northern Virginia, 2007 - 2015
Virginia Business, Virginia's "Legal Elite: Real Estate/Land Use" attorneys, 2013
AV® Preeminent Rating in both legal ability and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Lead counsel for the master developer of 18 acres in the City of Fairfax, Virginia that required comprehensive plan amendment, rezoning and other land use relief to provide a mixture of commercial, community and residential uses.
- Land use counsel for the landowner and master developer in regard to all zoning approvals for a 1.64 million square foot transit-oriented development located on the Silver Line in Fairfax County containing multi-family residential, senior living and care, office, retail, hotel and mass transit parking facilities.
- Represents a leading wholesale distributor of petroleum services in land use and zoning matters for its retail service station properties in Northern Virginia, including a recent rezoning in the Town of Vienna to permit the redevelopment of land for a new service station and convenience store.
- Counsel for a major Mid-Atlantic automobile dealer regarding comprehensive plan, land use and zoning matters, and new construction projects in Chantilly, Virginia.
- Represents a leading global retailer regarding an expansion of an existing warehouse club in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Lead land use counsel for a major regional development company in the entitlement process for a new multi-family condominium community in the City of Fairfax, Virginia.
- Represented a national senior housing developer in the acquisition and zoning approvals for a new assisted living and memory care facility in Reston, Virginia.
- Land use counsel for an independent private boarding and day school in land use planning and special exception approvals for its 370 acre campus in McLean, Virginia.
- Represented a public REIT in retail and restaurant lease transactions for its Washington, D.C. metropolitan area office and mixed use developments.
- Represented a national fitness company in lease transactions for several brands and uses including health clubs and cycling studios.
- Lead counsel for a Mid-Atlantic developer for a proffered condition amendment in a mixed use development in Tysons Corner, Virginia.
- Real Estate, Land Use & Construction Law , July 16, 2019
Professional & Community Affiliations
Urban Land Institute
International Conference of Shopping Centers (former)
American Bar Association (former)
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), American Planning Association (former)
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) - LEED Green Associate (former)
Beyond the Suit
Outside of the office, David is an avid golfer and tennis player, and enjoys biking, travel and spending time with his family and friends.