George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1981
University of Virginia, B.P., 1978
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1981
David Houston is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman practicing in the areas of zoning and land use, commercial leasing, and real estate development. He specializes in the representation of commercial real estate developers, retail establishments, academic and nonprofit institutions, and other entities in all aspects of land use, zoning, and development. From securing necessary permits and approvals to ultimate construction and occupancy, David provides comprehensive analysis and strategic counsel for a multitude of complex development issues. Throughout his career, he has appeared before many of the Washington Metropolitan Area’s governmental public forums, including Boards of Supervisors, City Councils, Planning Commissions and other civic advisory organizations.
David has significant commercial leasing experience representing both landlords and tenants in transactions ranging from specialty retailers, theaters, and restaurants to in-line retail stores in regional malls, neighborhood shopping centers, freestanding sites, and mixed-use street-level developments.
Arlington Magazine, Top Attorney - Land Use/Zoning, 2019
Chambers USA, Leading Real Estate Attorney in Northern Virginia, 2007 - 2015
Virginia Business, Virginia's "Legal Elite: Real Estate/Land Use" attorneys, 2013
AV® Preeminent Rating in both legal ability and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Lead counsel for the master developer of 18 acres in the City of Fairfax, Virginia that required comprehensive plan amendment, rezoning, and other land use relief to provide a mixture of commercial, community and residential uses.
- Land use counsel for the landowner/master developer regarding all zoning approvals for a 1.64 million square foot transit-oriented development located on the Silver Line in Fairfax County containing multi-family residential, senior living and care, office, retail, hotel, and mass transit parking facilities.
- Representation of a leading wholesale distributor of petroleum services in land use, zoning, and leasing matters for its retail service station properties in Northern Virginia.
- Counsel for two major East Coast automobile dealers regarding land use and zoning entitlement matters and new construction projects in Chantilly, Virginia.
- Land use counsel representing contract purchaser/developer during a rezoning and special exception process to permit the expansion of an existing auto park near Dulles Airport.
- Representation of a leading global retailer regarding an expansion of existing warehouse clubs in Washington, DC metro area.
- Lead land use counsel for a major regional development company in the entitlement process for a new multi-family condominium community and retail development in the City of Fairfax, Virginia.
- Representation of national senior housing developers in the acquisition and zoning approvals for new assisted living and memory care facilities throughout Northern Virginia.
- Representation of a nonprofit organization regarding zoning entitlements for new affordable housing community in Fairfax, Virginia.
- Counsel for an independent private boarding and day school in land use planning and special exception approvals for its 370-acre campus outside of Washington, D.C.
- Representation of a public REIT in retail and restaurant lease transactions for several Washington, D.C. metropolitan area office and mixed-use developments.
- Representation of a national fitness company in lease transactions for several of its brands including health clubs and cycling studios.
- Lead counsel for a Mid-Atlantic developer for a proffered condition amendment in a mixed-use development in Tysons Corner, Virginia.
- Land use counsel for a national university in securing zoning entitlement for a new satellite campus in Northern Virginia.
- Sun Gazette, June 21, 2021
- Real Estate, Land Use & Construction Law , July 16, 2019
Professional & Community Affiliations
Urban Land Institute
International Conference of Shopping Centers
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), American Planning Association (former)
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) - LEED Green Associate (former)
Washington Golf & Country Club, Board Member and Secretary
Beyond the Suit
Outside of the office, David is an avid golfer and tennis player, and enjoys biking, travel and spending time with his family and friends.