Emory University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1993
Cornell University, B.S., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Jennifer Elgin is a shareholder at Bean, Kinney & Korman focusing her practice in intellectual property with emphasis on trademark and copyright clearance/selection, registration, enforcement, litigation and licensing. Jennifer has prosecuted and managed large domestic and international trademark portfolios, including several worldwide clearance and registration projects. She frequently litigates trademark and copyright infringement matters as well as USPTO ex parte and inter partes proceedings.
In addition, Jennifer has assisted clients with music licensing and royalty issues, domain name resolution proceedings and acquisitions, right of publicity counseling and litigation and technology agreements, including joint development, reseller and software licenses.
Prior to joining Bean, Kinney & Korman in February 2016, Jennifer worked as an intellectual property attorney in national law firms and as in-house counsel for over 20 years.
- July 2017
- D.C. District Court Disagrees with Second Circuit Aereo Decision and Issues Near-Nationwide Injunction over FilmOn X Internet Television ServiceLexology, September 11, 2013
- Aereo Wins Another Round in its Battle with Copyright OwnersLexology, April 2, 2013
- gTLD ‘Trademark Clearinghouse’ Opens for Registration March 26, 2013Lexology, February 26, 2013
- Parsing Politics and (Intellectual) PropertyLexology, November 26, 2012
- Copyrights and Campaigns: Five Tips for the UnwaryCampaigns & Elections, May 2012
- May 22, 2018
- Derivative Works and Copyright: Scope, Termination, Infringement, Considerations for Drafting PermissionsStrafford Live CLE Webinars, March 20, 2018
- August 29, 2017
- Fair Use Clearance For Copyrighted Content in the Digital Age: Are Standards Changing?Clear Law Institute CLE, 2016
- Obtaining Fair Use Clearance for CopyrightsStrafford CLE, September 9, 2015
- Regulatory Hot Topics – Social Media - The View from WashingtonAT&T In House Legal Department CLE, June 20, 2014
- Basic Rights and Clearance Issues for Video Programming and DistributionFederal Communications Bar Association CLE, April 3, 2013
- .music, .tickets and .movies – Will New Top-Level Internet Domains Generate More Reward or More Litigation for Entertainment Industry Stakeholders?National Association of Recording Merchandisers (now Music Business Association) Entertainment & Law Technology Conference, February 28, 2013
- Technologies On The Fringe: Exploring the Legality of Aereo, Sling, Auto-Hop & TivoToGoCredit Suisse Investor Call, June 7, 2012
- February 19, 2016
- The BKK Business Blog, December 21, 2017
Professional & Community Affiliations
Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors)
International Trademark Association (Right of Publicity Committee, Education Sub-committee Chair)
Beth Chaverim Reform Congregation (President of the Board of Directors)
Rock Ridge Band Support Organization (Board of Directors)
Beyond the Suit
Jennifer resides in Loudoun County, Virginia with her husband Mike, son Zach, and two dumb (but loveable) pets.