Georgetown University, M.A., 1986
William and Mary School of Law, J.D., 1983
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., Business Administration & Accounting, 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 1983
- Maryland, 1984
- District of Columbia, 1984
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
A fourth generation Washingtonian, Tim Dugan's national and local developer and institutional clients rely on him to navigate their mixed-use, commercial, residential, retail, and industrial projects through the often complicated and lengthy zoning, land use and subdivision processes. Tim represents clients in Northern Virginia and the Maryland suburbs.
In collaboration with the other development team members, Tim presses for prompt and fair governmental determinations. An experienced land use and real estate attorney for over 30 years, Tim not only regularly appears before governmental agencies and community organizations, he also negotiates a variety of agreements necessary to implement his clients' entitlements.
Tim is actively involved with the Maryland State Bar Association, in his capacities as:
(1) 2020-2021 Chair of the Real Property Section Council; (2) a 2021 Member and Presenter for the Land Use Institute; (3) Member of the Land Use Committee; and (4) Member and Presenter of the Advanced Real Property Institute.
He is the former chair and a member of the Case Studies Committee of the Washington, D.C. Urban Land Institute. He is a member of the Arlington County Bar Association and the Montgomery County Bar Association.
He serves on the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance Board of Directors.
He is a member of: (1) NAIOP: Northern Virginia and D.C. / Maryland (2) Northern Virginia Building Industry Association; (3) Maryland Building Industry Association; (4) Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce; and (5) Montgomery County Leadership Montgomery.
Tim is licensed in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
Best Lawyers in America, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2020-2021
Bethesda Magazine, Top Attorney - Land Use/Zoning, 2019
- Represented senior housing developers in successfully navigating the entitlements processes and interacting with the community.
- Represented developers involving mixed use projects that developed over twenty years, including rezoning a land area to the highest density in the master plan and recovering a transit station to the site.
- A Possible Avenue to Reach Judicial Review of a "Garden Variety" Administrative Decision Through Alleging Common Law Taxpayer StandingMaryland Bar Journal, November 2018
- Land Use InstituteMaryland State Bar AssociationSpring 2021
- ULI Washington, D.C. Young Leaders Presentation “Northern Virginia Land Use”2020
- Comparative Zoning and Land Use Laws in Northern Virginia and Suburban MarylandUniversity of Maryland, 2020
- Columbia, MD, November 7, 2019
- Maryland State Bar Association Land Use Institute: “Recent Federal and State Land Use Court Decisions”2019
- Thirteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2021 Best Lawyers in America and Three Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020
- Timothy Dugan Elected 2020‑2021 Chair of the Real Property Section Council of the Maryland State Bar AssociationMay 21, 2020
- December 10, 2019
- October 16, 2019
Professional & Community Affiliations
- ULI Washington, D.C.
- 2019-2020 Chair, Case Studies Committee
- Member Case Studies Committee
- Member Management Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Real Property Section Council 2020-2021 Chair
- Land Use Institute presenter and program member
- Advanced Real Property Institute presenter and program member
- Arlington County Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
- Alumni Associations
- William and Mary Law
- Georgetown University
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Georgetown Preparatory School
- Maryland Building Industry Association
- NAIOP, Northern Virginia and D.C./Maryland
- Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Montgomery
Beyond the Suit
Outside of the office, Tim enjoys running, reading, playing tennis and spending time with his family.