Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2013, with distinction
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2011, cum laude
George Washington University, M.Acct., 2007
George Washington University, B.A., 2001
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 2012
- U.S. Tax Court
Vikram is a shareholder with Bean, Kinney & Korman representing a broad range of clients in tax and corporate matters. His tax practice consists of assisting businesses of all sizes in identifying and handling complex domestic and international tax issues, particularly in the real estate, renewable energy, government contracting and technology industries. Vikram began his tax career as a CPA with Ernst & Young, LLP, where his work focused on state and local incentives. Prior to joining Bean, Kinney & Korman, Vikram worked as a tax attorney with Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom where he focused on highly complex transactions and novel tax controversies.
In his corporate practice, Vikram assists throughout the lifecycle of a business from formation to exit. During these stages, Vikram assists clients in structuring the business, negotiating agreements among the stakeholders and third parties, capitalizing or financing the business, navigating employment matters including compensation, and handling exit transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, and asset sales. Further, Vikram brings his tax expertise to his corporate work and provides a unique integrated service that creates significant value for his clients.
In addition to his legal training and experience, Vikram is personally involved as a principal in hospitality projects and technology projects, and he has invested in a number of businesses in the region. This gives him the perspective of a business owner and investor, which allows him to understand their needs in a way that most attorneys cannot. Our clients rely on Vikram for corporate and tax work related to:
- Business Transactions
- Cross Border Transactions
- Intellectual Property Related Transactions
- Transactions, such as Section 1031 Transactions
- Tax Credit Transactions
- Accounting Methods
- Business Structuring and Planning
- Cross-Border Tax Planning
- Employment and Compensation
- Real Estate Tax Planning
- Tax Reporting
Controversies and Contests:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Allegations
- Federal Tax Controversies
- Shareholder Disputes
- State and local Tax Controversies
- Territory Controversies Including Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands
- Represented multiple commercial real estate (CRE) clients in complex multi-million dollar like-kind (Section 1031) exchanges.
- Represented creditor of a multi-billion dollar loan secured with cash grants pursuant to The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act for a multi-phase renewable energy project. Representation included negotiating loan terms, reviewing tax opinions, and monitoring loan compliance to ensure over $1 billion in cash grants were paid to creditor.
- Represented multiple government contractors in establishing nonqualified executive compensation plans.
- Represented Fortune 100 Company in obtaining a deduction for over $2 billion regarding a novel question of law. Representation included the successful submission of a private letter ruling.
- Does the California Governor's Enterprise Zone Proposal Pass Constitutional Muster: An In-Depth Look at Federal Due Process Restrictions on State Enacted Legislation with Retroactive Application for Carry Forward Tax CreditsThe Tax Lawyer, Summer 2011
- October 16, 2018
- May 22, 2018
- July 14, 2017
- January 30, 2017
- Business Insights, October 29, 2018
- Business Insights, August 27, 2018
- Business Insights, August 14, 2018
- Opportunity Funds are Knocking: Let them in and Learn How They Can Work for You - What Are the Tax Incentives and What Investors Need to KnowBusiness Insights, August 9, 2018
- Business Insights, August 6, 2018
- Business Insights, January 2, 2018
- Business Insights, July 2017
Professional & Community Affiliations
The Seeing Eye (Board of Trustees, 2018)
National Industries for the Blind (Board of Directors, 2018 - present)