- Advertising, Promotions & Sponsorships
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy, Creditors Rights, Enforcement & Collection
- Business Organizations & Transactions
- Commercial & Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Internet & e-Commerce
- Internet Defamation
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 1998, with distinction
West Virginia University College of Law, J.D., 1997, Order of the Coif
Wake Forest University, B.S., 1994, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Maryland, 1998
- District of Columbia, 2000
- Virginia, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Joe Meadows is a litigation shareholder at Bean, Kinney & Korman. He is an experienced trial attorney, focusing on business disputes, internet defamation, and cyber-attack/privacy matters.
Joe has tried cases before judges and juries, arbitrated commercial disputes, and argued trial and appellate matters in federal and state courts. He is known for his tenaciousness and creativity to achieve leverage in litigation or alternative dispute resolution. His diverse client base includes defense contractors, healthcare company, start-up technology companies, venture capital firms, real estate contractors, title company, IT firms, manufacturer, restaurants, web-based companies, bloggers, radio station, and high profile and high net-worth individuals.
Joe founded internet defamation practice areas at his current and prior law firms. He is connected with a number of digital forensic experts, crisis management firms, and media contacts. He has been retained as an expert witness in defamation law and featured as a defamation litigator in articles and on radio shows.
Click below for videos and Defamation Download.
Prior to joining Bean, Kinney & Korman, Joe worked as a trial attorney and civil litigator at Crowell & Moring, LLP, headquartered in Washington, D.C. He started his career at the Department of Justice, Tax Division where he received the Tax Division's Outstanding Attorney Award in 2000. In addition to receiving his J.D. and LL.M. (taxation), Joe passed the North Carolina CPA exam.
Joe is licensed to practice in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
- Represented U.S. government contractors in defamation and tortious interference litigations in state and federal courts.
- Represented start-up technology company in Virginia defamation case against blogger.
- Represented high-profile federal government official in Maryland defamation case against media.
- Represented high-profile individual in Massachusetts defamation and cyber-attack case against unknown John Does.
- Counseled businesses and individuals in defamation, disparagement, and privacy matters in the DC metro area and beyond, involving competitors, disgruntled employees, unknown persons, and the media.
- Represented individual and company clients in litigation and settlement of Virginia and DC business partnership disputes.
- Defended U.S. government contractor in False Claims Act jury trial (EDVA) involving weapons, muster, and travel invoice matters, obtaining defense verdict.
- Defended various health care companies in dismissal or settlement of False Claims Act claims.
- Tried and won bankruptcy preference case (USBC D. Md.), recovering attorney’s fees and costs.
- Tried and won contested adoption matter for single parent, defending the win on appeal in the D.C. Court of Appeals.
- Law360, January 15, 2021
- Implied Partnerships GuideJanuary 12, 2021
- American Bar Association - Practice Points, November 30, 2020
- A Graphic IllustrationOctober 2020
- Bloomberg Law, June 15, 2020
- Bankruptcy Law News, Virginia State Bar, June 2020
- Law360, December 9, 2019
- LinkedIn, May 16, 2019
- LinkedIn, March 7, 2019
- American Bar Association's Expert Witnesses Section of Litigation, November 2, 2017
- How State High Courts Are Reshaping Anti-SLAPP LawsLaw360, July 31, 2017
- What's Next For Federal Anti-SLAPP LegislationLaw360, April 19, 2017
- American Bar Association's Expert Witnesses Section of Litigation, February 21, 2017
- Six Steps to Protecting Your Reputation OnlineCorporate Counsel, February 17, 2017
- Using Experts in ArbitrationAmerican Arbitration Association's Dispute Resolution Journal, Vol. 62, No. 1, February 2007/April 2007
- Using Experts in Arbitration – Chapter 31 – AAA Handbook on Arbitration Practice – Second EditionAAA Handbook on Arbitration Practice – Second Edition, December 2015
- ABA Section of Litigation, September 25, 2013
- Expert Discovery Since December 2010: Have the Amendments To Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 26 Made Anything EasierBloomberg BNA Expert Evidence Report, November 19, 2012
- Domestic ArbitrationChapter 8Litigation Management, published by American Lawyer Media's Law Journal Press, 2010
- Webcast, May 7, 2020
- WVOW Radio | 101.9FM | 1290AM, February 26, 2020
- Virginia Lawmakers Aim To Crack Down On SLAPP TourismOn-demand recording, February 17, 2020
- WVOW Radio | 101.9FM / 1290AM, February 12, 2020
- Reston, VA, October 9, 2019
- Arlington, VA, July 11, 2019
- Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, October 25, 2018
- Solo and Small Firms: Maximize Your SuccessWV CLE, Morgantown, WV, September 21, 2018
- Joe Meadows was quoted in "Judge again tells Devin Nunes he can’t sue Twitter over fake cow’s tweets"The Fresno Bee, August 6, 2020
- Joe Meadows was quoted: "Pursuing a defamation case may be important to defend your name, brand, or reputation."Reverse SEO Strategy: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business Against Negative Online ContentMedium, September 19, 2019
- PodcastLegal Talk Network, April 18, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Business Journal, April 5, 2019
- Joe Meadows was mentioned in the NYT story "The Wounds of the Drone Warrior" as the internet defamation attorney for Christopher Aaron.The New York Times Magazine, June 13, 2018
- April 4, 2018
- Business Insights, April 22, 2020
- Business Insights, June 6, 2019
- Business Insights, January 23, 2019
- Business Insights, October 25, 2018
- Business Insights, August 2, 2018
- Business Insights, July 18, 2018
Professional & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
American Bar Association, Forum on Communications Law
American Bar Association, Expert Witness Committee (Former Editor)
Bowen McCauley Dance Company (Board of Director)
Beyond the Suit
Joe spends his free time with his wife and three children hiking trails in Virginia. He's also an avid windsurfer and a passionate fan of WVU football.