Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 1998, with distinction
West Virginia University College of Law, J.D., 1997, Order of the Coif
Wake Forest University, B.S., 1994, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Maryland, 1998
- District of Columbia, 2000
- Virginia, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Joe Meadows is a shareholder at Bean, Kinney & Korman. He is an experienced trial attorney, focusing on complex civil litigation, internet defamation/disparagement and cyber-attack matters. Joe is also known for his extensive experience with expert witnesses.
Understanding and being attuned to his clients' needs are top priorities for Joe, and he is known for his tenaciousness and keen sense of urgency, which is always valued in a fast-paced digital world. He represents clients in a variety of matters and actively writes and presents on cyber issues such as:
- internet defamation / disparagement
- invasion of privacy
- computer fraud and abuse
- First Amendment anonymity claims
- online impersonation
- domain name hacking
- Anti-SLAPP laws
- Communications Decency Act Section 230
- Stored Communications Act
Joe has exceptional litigation experience and has tried over 20 cases, arbitrated commercial disputes, and argued appellate matters in federal and state courts. His diverse client base includes manufacturers, internet-based companies, retailers, distributors, financial service providers, government contractors, healthcare entities and high-profile individuals.
Joe is also well known for his experience with a variety of subject matter experts: actuaries, economists, engineers, digital and other forensic investigators, psychologists, material scientists and weapons experts. He has briefed and argued many Daubert motions and is an Editor for the American Bar Association’s Expert Witness Committee.
Prior to joining Bean, Kinney & Korman, Joe worked as a trial attorney and civil litigator at Crowell & Moring, LLP, headquartered in Washington, D.C. He started his career at the Department of Justice, Tax Division where he received the Tax Division's Outstanding Attorney Award in 2000. In addition to receiving his J.D. and LL.M. (taxation), Joe passed the North Carolina CPA exam.
Click below to watch videos.
Social Media and Defamation
Internet Defamation as it Pertains to Protected Opinion
Anonymous Online Defamation
- Represented U.S. government contractors in defamation and tortious interference litigations in state and federal courts.
- Represented start-up technology company in Virginia defamation case against blogger.
- Represented high-profile individual in Massachusetts defamation and cyber-attack case against unknown John Does.
- Counseled businesses and individuals in defamation and disparagement matters in the DC metro area and beyond, involving competitors, disgruntled employees, unknown persons, and the media.
- Represented high-net-worth individuals in litigation and settlement of Virginia and DC business partnership disputes.
- Defended U.S. government contractor in False Claims Act jury trial (EDVA) involving weapons experts, obtaining defense verdict.
- Defended various health care companies in dismissal or settlement of False Claims Act claims.
- Tried and won bankruptcy preference case (USBC D. Md.), recovering attorney’s fees and costs.
- Tried and won contested adoption matter, defending the win on appeal in the D.C. Court of Appeals.
- Represented international oil and gas company in tariff classification dispute before the U.S. Court of International Trade, recovering millions.
- A Graphic IllustrationOctober 2020
- Bloomberg Law, June 15, 2020
- Bankruptcy Law News, Virginia State Bar, June 2020
- Latest News and Insights
- Law360, December 9, 2019
- LinkedIn, May 16, 2019
- LinkedIn, March 7, 2019
- American Bar Association's Expert Witnesses Section of Litigation, November 2, 2017
- Four Health Care Company v. John Doe Cases: Scare Tactics, Accidental Disclosures, Hacking, and Impersonation Lead to Loss of AnonymityHealth Law 'In The News', August 3, 2017
- How State High Courts Are Reshaping Anti-SLAPP LawsLaw360, July 31, 2017
- What's Next For Federal Anti-SLAPP LegislationLaw360, April 19, 2017
- American Bar Association's Expert Witnesses Section of Litigation, February 21, 2017
- Six Steps to Protecting Your Reputation OnlineCorporate Counsel, February 17, 2017
- Using Experts in ArbitrationAmerican Arbitration Association's Dispute Resolution Journal, Vol. 62, No. 1, February 2007/April 2007
- Using Experts in Arbitration – Chapter 31 – AAA Handbook on Arbitration Practice – Second EditionAAA Handbook on Arbitration Practice – Second Edition, December 2015
- ABA Section of Litigation, September 25, 2013
- Expert Discovery Since December 2010: Have the Amendments To Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 26 Made Anything EasierBloomberg BNA Expert Evidence Report, November 19, 2012
- Domestic ArbitrationChapter 8Litigation Management, published by American Lawyer Media's Law Journal Press, 2010
- Due Process and Public Policy Issues Associated with the Use of Contingent Fee Contract AuditorsState Tax Report, Vol. 98, No. 2, September 8, 1998
- Webcast, May 7, 2020
- WVOW Radio | 101.9FM | 1290AM, February 26, 2020
- Virginia Lawmakers Aim To Crack Down On SLAPP TourismOn-demand recording, February 17, 2020
- WVOW Radio | 101.9FM / 1290AM, February 12, 2020
- Reston, VA, October 9, 2019
- Arlington, VA, July 11, 2019
- Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, October 25, 2018
- Solo and Small Firms: Maximize Your SuccessWVU College of Law, September 21, 2018
- Joe Meadows was quoted in "Judge again tells Devin Nunes he can’t sue Twitter over fake cow’s tweets"The Fresno Bee, August 6, 2020
- Joe Meadows was quoted: "Pursuing a defamation case may be important to defend your name, brand, or reputation."Reverse SEO Strategy: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business Against Negative Online ContentMedium, September 19, 2019
- PodcastLegal Talk Network, April 18, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Business Journal, April 5, 2019
- Joe Meadows was mentioned in the NYT story "The Wounds of the Drone Warrior" as the internet defamation attorney for Christopher Aaron.The New York Times Magazine, June 13, 2018
- April 4, 2018
- Business Insights, April 22, 2020
- Business Insights, June 6, 2019
- Business Insights, January 23, 2019
- Business Insights, October 25, 2018
- Business Insights, August 2, 2018
- Business Insights, July 18, 2018
Professional & Community Affiliations
American Bar Association, Science & Technology Law, Internet of Things Committee
American Bar Association, Expert Witness Committee (Editor)
Beyond the Suit
Joe spends his free time with his wife and three children hiking trails in Virginia. He's also an avid windsurfer and a passionate fan of WVU football.