A fourth generation Washingtonian, Tim Dugan’s national and local developer and institutional clients rely on him to navigate their mixed-use, commercial, residential, retail, and industrial projects through zoning regulations, land use regulations, and the often complicated and lengthy processes necessary to develop or redevelop their properties. Tim represents clients in Northern Virginia and the Maryland suburbs.
In collaboration with the other development team members, Tim presses for prompt and fair governmental determinations. An experienced real estate and land use attorney for over 30 years, Tim not only regularly appears before governmental agencies and community organizations, he also negotiates a variety of agreements necessary to implement his clients’ entitlements.
Tim is actively involved with the Maryland State Bar Association, in his capacities as:
(1) 2021-2022 Member of the Maryland State Bar Association Board of Governors (2) 2020-2021 Chair of the Real Property Section Council; (3) a 2021 Member and Presenter for the Land Use Institute; (4) Member of the Land Use Committee; and (5) Member of the Advanced Real Property Institute.
He is the former chair of the Case Studies Committee of the Washington, D.C. Urban Land Institute. He is a member of the Arlington County Bar Association and the Montgomery County Bar Association.
He serves on the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance Board of Directors.
He is a member of: (1) NAIOP: Northern Virginia and D.C. / Maryland (2) Northern Virginia Building Industry Association; (3) Maryland Building Industry Association; (4) Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce; and (5) Montgomery County Leadership Montgomery.
Tim is licensed in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
Beyond the Suit
Outside of the office, Tim enjoys running, reading, playing tennis and spending time with his family.
- Represented senior housing developers in successfully navigating the entitlements processes and interacting with the community.
- Represented developers involving mixed use projects that developed over twenty years, including rezoning a land area to the highest density in the master plan and recovering a transit station to the site.
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia, 1984
Maryland Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court
Georgetown University, M.A., 1986
William and Mary School of Law, J.D., 1983
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., Business Administration & Accounting, 1976
Awards and Honors
Arlington Magazine, Top Attorney – Land Use/Zoning, 2021
Best Lawyers in America, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2020-2023
Bethesda Magazine, Top Attorney – Land Use/Zoning, 2019
ULI Washington, D.C.
- 2019-2020 Chair, Case Studies Committee
- Member Case Studies Committee
- Member Management Committee
Maryland State Bar Association
- Real Property Section Council 2020-2021 Chair
- Land Use Institute presenter and program member
- Advanced Real Property Institute presenter and program member
Arlington County Bar Association
Montgomery County Bar Association
Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
- William and Mary Law
- Georgetown University
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Georgetown Preparatory School
Maryland Building Industry Association
NAIOP, Northern Virginia and D.C./Maryland
Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce
- Land Use Institute 2021
online, Tuesday, October 5, 2021
- ULI Washington, D.C. Young Leaders Presentation “Northern Virginia Land Use”
Monday, May 25, 2020
- Comparative Zoning and Land Use Laws in Northern Virginia and Suburban Maryland
University of Maryland, Monday, May 25, 2020
- 2019 Advanced Real Property Institute
Columbia, MD, Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Maryland State Bar Association Land Use Institute: “Recent Federal and State Land Use Court Decisions”
Saturday, May 25, 2019
- Sixteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2023 Best Lawyers in America and Six Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Thursday August 18, 2022
- Twenty-eight Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as Top Attorneys for 2021 by Arlington Magazine
Thursday October 21, 2021
- Fifteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2022 Best Lawyers in America and Five Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Thursday August 19, 2021
- Thirteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Listed in 2021 Best Lawyers in America and Three Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Thursday August 20, 2020
- Timothy Dugan Elected 2020‑2021 Chair of the Real Property Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association
Thursday May 21, 2020
- Timothy Dugan Recognized as Top Attorney by Bethesda Magazine
Tuesday December 10, 2019
- Timothy Dugan Joins Bean, Kinney & Korman as a Shareholder
Wednesday October 16, 2019
- Plan Langston Boulevard – A Lesson in Smart Planning: Encouraging Investment and Development in Arlington
Real Estate, Land Use & Construction Law, Thursday June 16, 2022
- A Possible Avenue to Reach Judicial Review of a “Garden Variety” Administrative Decision Through Alleging Common Law Taxpayer Standing
Maryland Bar Journal, November 10, 2018