Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Notre Dame, B.A., magna cum laude, 2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 2006
- Maryland, 2012
- Washington, D.C., 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Maureen E. Carr is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman. She focuses her practice on employment law and commercial litigation and is known for her legal acumen and responsiveness.
Understanding and staying current on the various aspects of employment law is paramount to Maureen. She is relied upon for her extensive experience and familiarity with the many facets of employment law. Her clients depend on her assistance in matters involving:
- EEOC charges of discrimination / retaliation;
- Unemployment and workers’ compensation proceedings;
- FLSA claims for unpaid wages;
- Wage and hour audits by the Department of Labor;
- Leave requests under the FMLA, ADA, USERRA and disability policies;
- Drafting various employment agreements; and
- Developing employment policies and procedures.
Maureen represents individuals and business alike in a variety of commercial litigation matters and has handled cases involving construction, real estate and employment disputes. She works closely with her clients to ensure the best outcome, either through mediation, settlement or litigation. Her experience includes disputes relating to:
- Employment agreements;
- Bad-faith denials of insurance coverage;
- Professional liability claims;
- Contractor / property owner conflicts;
- Real estate transactions; and
- Warranty disputes.
AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Litigation, Construction Law & Contracts, 2013 - present
Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2015 - present
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2015 - 2017
Successfully mediated a real estate dispute in which the client purchased a condominium unit that was subject to certain undisclosed resale restrictions related to its designation as an “affordable housing unit.” A mediation involving the client, the seller, two title companies, and the government body charged with enforcing the restrictions resulted in monetary compensation to the client and a modification to the restrictions.
Represented a homeowners’ association in a federal lawsuit against the association’s insurance carrier alleging a breach of the insurer’s duty to defend the association in a lawsuit. Following an appeal to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia ruled that the insurer breached its duty to defend and awarded the association a substantial amount of its attorneys’ fees and litigation costs.
- May 22, 2018
- Where: Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, February 28, 2018
- Where: Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, When: January 17, 2018 | 7:30 a.m. Registration & Breakfast | 8:00-9:00 a.m. Seminar
- Settlement Agreements, Releases and Covenants Not to SueVirginia State Bar Construction and Public Contracts Law Seminar, November 6, 2016
- Managing On-Site Staff: Legal and Practical ConsiderationsWashington Metropolitan Chapter of the Community Association Institute's Manager Luncheon, May 19, 2015
- Wage and Hour IssuesHuman Resource Association of the National Capital Area Annual Conference, May 2, 2014
- Classification of Workers as Exempt v. Non-EXempt Under the Fair Labor Standards ActHuman Resource Association of the National Capital Area, December 18, 2013
- Employment Law , March 16, 2018
- Employment Law , January 19, 2018
- Employment Law , June 30, 2017
- Employment Law , April 10, 2017
Professional & Community Affiliations
Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Northern Virginia Chapter (Board of Directors, 2015 – present)
Beyond the Suit
Maureen grew up in Arlington where she still lives with her husband and two children.