Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Notre Dame, B.A., magna cum laude, 2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 2006
- Washington, D.C., 2007
- Maryland, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Maureen E. Carr is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman. She focuses her practice on employment law and commercial litigation and is known for her legal acumen, responsiveness, and collaborative approach.
Understanding and staying current on the various aspects of employment law is paramount to Maureen. She is relied upon for her extensive experience and familiarity with the many facets of employment law. Her clients depend on her assistance in matters involving:
- EEOC charges of discrimination / retaliation;
- FLSA claims for unpaid wages;
- Wage and hour audits by the Department of Labor;
- Leave requests under the FMLA, ADA, USERRA and employer policies;
- Employment-related investigations;
- Executive compensation;
- Classification of workers;
- Drafting various employment agreements including non-competes and other restrictive covenants; and
- Developing employment policies and procedures.
Maureen represents individuals and business alike in a variety of commercial litigation matters and has handled cases involving construction, real estate, and employment disputes. She works closely with her clients to ensure the best outcome, either through mediation, settlement, or litigation. Her experience includes disputes relating to:
- Employment agreements;
- FLSA wage and hour issues;
- Discrimination, harassment, and retaliation;
- Contract disputes;
- Business torts, such as tortious interference with contract;
- Trade secrets;
- Bad-faith denials of insurance coverage;
- Professional liability claims;
- Contractor / property owner conflicts;
- Real estate transactions;
- Homeowners association and condominium association matters; and
- Warranty disputes.
Maureen litigates in the state and federal courts of Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. with a particular emphasis on litigation on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division.
Virginia Business Legal Elite in Labor/Employment Law, 2019-2020
Arlington Magazine, Top Attorney - Employment (Employee), Employment (Employer), 2019
AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Litigation, Construction Law & Contracts, 2013 - present
Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Employment & Labor, 2015 - present
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Employment & Labor, 2015 - 2017, 2019, 2020
- Negotiated resolution of dispute between technology company and former employee regarding employee’s compliance with restrictive covenants and trade secret/computer crimes statutes, with resolution involving monetary payment to client and employee’s agreement to continuing obligations.
- Investigated allegations of racial harassment against private club, prepared detailed investigative report for board of directors, and advised board regarding response.
- Secured monetary judgment for technology company against former sales employee related to disputed commission payment.
- Negotiated resolution of dispute between media company and former employees related to breach of fiduciary duties, misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference, aiding and abetting, and civil conspiracy, with resolution involving monetary payment to client and employees’ agreement to continuing confidentiality, non-competition, and non-solicitation obligations.
- Facilitated separation of owner from engineering firm, including resolution of disability/leave issues and redemption of ownership interest.
- Successfully mediated real estate dispute in which client purchased condominium unit that was subject to certain undisclosed resale restrictions related to designation as “affordable housing unit.” Mediation involving client, seller, two title companies, and government body charged with enforcing restrictions resulted in monetary compensation to client and modification to restrictions.
- Represented homeowners’ association in federal lawsuit against association’s insurance carrier alleging breach of insurer’s duty to defend association in a lawsuit. Following appeal to Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia ruled that insurer breached duty to defend and awarded association substantial amount of its attorneys’ fees and litigation costs.
- Berrios v. Circle Group, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 192900 (E.D. Va. Sept. 25, 2020); 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 225895 (E.D. Va. July 21, 2020)
- Colonial Beach Yacht Ctr., Inc. v. United States, 700 F. Supp. 2d 774 (E.D. Va. March 23, 2010)
- Disco, Inc. v. Travelers Indemnity Co. of Am., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 227781 (E.D. Va. March 22, 2017)
- Hyundai Emigration Corp. v. Empower-Visa, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 142402 (E.D. Va. June 17, 2009)
- Ramirez v. Solomon Edwards Grp., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 134964 (E.D. Va. July 17, 2008)
- United States English Language Ctr. v. Accrediting Council for Higher Educ. & Training, Inc., 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 226368 (E.D. Va. Sept. 11, 2019)
- Best Lawyers, August 9, 2019
- Online, October 14, 2020
- Virtual All Day Legal AcademyOnline, May 7, 2020
- 29th Annual Employment Law Update Seminar 2020Online, May 5, 2020
- Small Business Academy WorkshopWebinar, April 15, 2020
- Fairfax Business Center, Annandale, VA, December 4, 2019
- May 22, 2018
- “#METOO: Sexual Harassment in the Workplace”George Washington University School of Business, March 6, 2018
- Where: Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, February 28, 2018
- Where: Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, When: January 17, 2018 | 7:30 a.m. Registration & Breakfast | 8:00-9:00 a.m. Seminar
- Settlement Agreements, Releases and Covenants Not to SueVirginia State Bar Construction and Public Contracts Law Seminar, November 6, 2016
- Managing On-Site Staff: Legal and Practical ConsiderationsWashington Metropolitan Chapter of the Community Association Institute's Manager Luncheon, May 19, 2015
- Wage and Hour IssuesHuman Resource Association of the National Capital Area Annual Conference, May 2, 2014
- Classification of Workers as Exempt v. Non-EXempt Under the Fair Labor Standards ActHuman Resource Association of the National Capital Area, December 18, 2013
- May 7, 2020
- October 18, 2019
- April 18, 2019
- April 30, 2018
- March 13, 2017
- Employment Law , January 15, 2021
- Employment Law , January 13, 2021
- Employment Law , June 15, 2020
- Employment Law , May 7, 2020
- Employment Law , March 30, 2020
- Employment Law , March 19, 2020
- Employment Law , February 21, 2020
- Employment Law , April 23, 2019
- Employment Law , March 16, 2018
- Employment Law , January 19, 2018
- Employment Law , June 30, 2017
- Employment Law , April 10, 2017
Professional & Community Affiliations
Virginia Women Attorneys Association, State Board of Directors, 2018 to present (currently Chair, Judiciary Committee)
Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Northern Virginia Chapter, Board of Directors, 2015 to present (President 2020-2021)
Human Resource Association for the National Capital Area, Chair, Legislative & Government Affairs and Chair, Wage & Hour Interest Group, 2013 to 2016
Beyond the Suit
Maureen grew up in Arlington, where she still lives with her husband, two children, and many pets. When not working or driving her children to various activities, Maureen enjoys watching Notre Dame football and Washington Capitals hockey.