University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1987
Amherst College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1981
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 1987
- District of Columbia
Richard C. “Rip” Sullivan, Jr. is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman, practicing in the area of commercial litigation. He has represented clients in Virginia and federal courts for over thirty years.
Rip represents a wide variety of clients including banks, construction and real estate firms, government contractors and nonprofits.
In addition to his law practice, Rip is a member of the Virginia House of Delegates representing the 48th District. He is also active in numerous community, civic and professional organizations.
American Lawyers Media Virginia's Top Rated Lawyers (2012)
Virginia Lawyers Media Virginia's Leaders in the Law (2012)
Virginia Business Magazine Legal Elite (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012)
Business Litigation Super Lawyer (2008)
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer (2007, 2014)
Virginia Super Lawyers in Business Litigation, 2006, 2014 - present
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, 2007, 2014, 2016
- Products Liability/Mass Tort - Member of a nationwide trial team defending a large pharmaceutical company in a multi-billion dollar diet drug litigation.
- Defense counsel for a large Northern Virginia hospital system and its related entities, physicians and staff for seven years, defending medical malpractice cases in the state and federal courts of Virginia.
- April 30, 2018
- Fourteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2017 Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsApril 13, 2017
- Eleven Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsApril 7, 2016
- Twelve Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsApril 9, 2015
- November 18, 2014
Professional & Community Affiliations
United States Institute of Peace International – Advisory Council Member
Fairfax County Park Authority Board – Board Member
Virginia Law Foundation – Fellow
Virginia Bar Association – former Member of the Board of Governors, current member of Committee on Federal Judgeships – Eastern District
Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course – Faculty Member
Fairfax Bar Association
Fairfax Law Foundation – Board Member
Federal Bar Association
McLean Community Foundation – former President, current Trustee
Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership at The University of Virginia – Board Member
Virginia State Bar/Virginia Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Joint Committee – Member and former Chair
Virginia State Bar Emergency Legal Services Task Force – Chairman
Virginia State Bar Special Committee on Access to Legal Services – Member and former Chairman of the Subcommittee on Funding Alternatives
Fairfax County Housing and Redevelopment Authority – former Vice-Chair
Fairfax Transportation Advisory Commission – former member
Virginia Commission on Civics Education – former member
Fairfax Consumer Protection Commission – former member
Legal Services of Northern Virginia – former President and Board Member
Potomac Legal Aid Society – former Board Member
Virginia State Bar Council – Represented the 19th Judicial Circuit (2003-2009)
Alexandria Bar Foundation – former Board Member
Homestretch, Inc. – former Vice Chairman and Board Member
Virginia State Bar Special Committee on the Resolution of Fee Disputes – former Chairman
Dranesville Budget Task Force – former Chair
Beyond the Suit
Rip lives in McLean, Virginia with his wife Beth. They have four children.