A penny for your thoughts? More like millions of dollars if it’s the right thought or nothing at all if your intellectual property isn’t properly protected. Sometimes creative value comes from a vision in the middle of the night. More often, it’s the product of endless hours spent toiling away on a keyboard and finally constructing a solution for which there is a ready market. How unfortunate, then, to see the rewards of all that effort slip away with the “trusted” employee, through copyright infringement, or by the poorly drafted licensing agreement.
Working with a range of clients from small software developers, to regional advertising firms, to multinational enterprises, Bean, Kinney & Korman provides knowledgeable intellectual property services including copyrights, trademarks, licensing, advertising law, and more.
Skilled Advice to Protect Your Intellectual Property
The firm offers experienced assistance to its clients throughout Northern Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia and throughout the world with many intellectual property matters, including:
- preparing trademark and copyright applications
- trademark searching, protection, maintenance and enforcement
- guarding trade secrets
- providing intellectual property audits and valuations
- drafting and negotiating sponsorship and promotional agreements
- advising on “cybersquatting” and domain name disputes
- reviewing website terms of service, legal disclosures and privacy policies
- implementing and enforcing employment covenants
- developing data and software licensing agreements
- preparing partnering, affiliation or joint venture documentation
Mergers and Acquisitions
Our intellectual property attorneys are a source of guidance and advice during the mergers and acquisitions process, including:
- due diligence assessment of target company assets
- seller response to issues raised during due diligence
- advice on intellectual property assets throughout negotiation, closing and sale
- intellectual property audits in pre-market preparation
Intellectual Property Disputes and Negotiations
Our lawyers understand both the legal and business issues that arise from intellectual property disputes and negotiations. Whether enforcing your intellectual property rights or defending infringement claims, we can assist you in managing your risks and maximizing your protection, always mindful of your resources and keeping the stakes in perspective.
Types of Clients Served
What kinds of businesses have found the firm to be their trusted advisor on intellectual property matters?
- Advertising and public relations agencies
- Government contractors
- Business consultants
- Data aggregator licensors
- Software developers
- Mobile application developers
- Online retailers
- Industry associations
We welcome the opportunity to assist you with your intellectual property needs.
Lead counsel for the appellee and argued the appeal for the appellee before the Fourth Circuit. The court found that a trademark based upon an abbreviation (acronym) was not infringed by the use of a longer phrase from which abbreviation was derived. The court also found that there was no confusion caused by the appellee's use of larger descriptive phrase from which the appellant's trademark abbreviation was based.
- August 1, 2018
- June 3, 2014
- BKK Business Law Newsletter, January 2014
- BKK Business Law Newsletter, November 2012
- Small Business Trends, September 2012
- IP Frontline, June 2012
- Intellectual Property Today, May 2012
- BKK Business Law Newsletter, September 2009
- Business Insights, December 21, 2017
Seminars & Events
- Fairfax Business Center, Annandale, VA, December 4, 2019
- Reston, VA, October 9, 2019
- 4600 Fairfax Drive, Suite 804, Arlington, Virginia, October 31, 2013
- Alexandria, Virginia, September 18, 2013
- July 23, 2013