Internet Defamation Attorneys
Click below to access newsletters, videos, podcasts and resources on defamation:
Defamation Download - online newsletter
Joe Meadows discusses internet defamation and social media
Joe Meadows discusses internet defamation as it pertains to protected opinion
Joe Meadows discusses anonymous online defamation
Podcast - Legal Talk Network
Internet Defamation Guide
5 Tips on Protecting Articles, Blogs, or Posts from Defamation Liability
In today’s cyber world, companies and individuals may be wrongly accused of selling defective goods, providing poor service, misleading customers, defrauding the government, or committing criminal or unethical conduct. The accusations can appear in emails, blogs, social media, videos, or review websites. They may come from competitors, customers, foreign governments, or strangers. What is worse, they may be cloaked in the anonymity of the internet.
Bean, Kinney & Korman handles internet defamation cases. We defend names, brands and reputations.
What We Can Do
We fight back against defamers and cyber-attackers, exposing and holding them accountable. And, for those caught in the cross-fire of defamation, we defend their freedom of speech.
We follow a R-A-P-I-D game plan in pursuing and defending against internet defamation cases. We spot the strongest legal claims and defenses, and think outside the box, deploying creative legal strategies. We explore inexpensive resolution methods before proceeding with litigation. Finally, we network with public relations and digital forensics experts to offer a comprehensive approach to defending names, brands, and reputations and recovering damages.
Who We Represent
Our seasoned trial lawyers represent banks, construction companies, government contractors, health care companies, internet-based companies, professionals (e.g., doctors, dentists, and lawyers), retailers, small businesses, software and application developers, universities, and high net worth and profile individuals.
What Services We Can Provide
Our internet defamation counseling and litigation services cover a broad range of issues:
- Defamation and product disparagement (trade libel)
- Invasion of privacy
- Computer fraud and abuse
- First Amendment / John Doe (anonymous defamer) suits
- Anti-SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) laws
- Communications Decency Act Section 230 (website immunity)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (take-down requests)
- Stored Communications Act (disclosure of electronic records)
- Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (domain name re-assignment)
- Revenge porn
- Libel / blog reviews
- Non-disparagement agreements
- Trademark and copyright infringement
- False advertising and unfair trade
As internet speech grows, so do internet defamation cases. It is easier today to ruin names, brands, and reputations with online negative statements. Yet it is also easier today to raise issues and advocate change before a widespread audience connected by the internet. The battle between freedom of speech and freedom from defamation is alive and well in the 21st Century.
If you are concerned that someone has defamed you or accused you of defamation, consult an attorney. Our team of Internet & e-Commerce Attorneys is here to help and design a path forward.
Clients & Experience
- Latest News and Insights
- Law360, December 9, 2019
- LinkedIn, May 16, 2019
- LinkedIn, March 7, 2019
- American Bar Association's Expert Witnesses Section of Litigation, November 2, 2017
- Business Insights, June 6, 2019
- Business Insights, October 25, 2018
- Business Insights, August 2, 2018
- Business Insights, July 18, 2018
- Joe Meadows quoted: "Pursuing a defamation case may be important to defend your name, brand, or reputation."Reverse SEO Strategy: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business Against Negative Online ContentMedium, September 19, 2019
- PodcastLegal Talk Network, April 18, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Business Journal, April 5, 2019
- Joe Meadows was mentioned in the NYT story "The Wounds of the Drone Warrior" as the internet defamation attorney for Christopher Aaron.The New York Times Magazine, June 13, 2018
Seminars & Events
- Webcast, May 7, 2020
- WVOW Radio | 101.9FM | 1290AM, February 26, 2020
- Virginia Lawmakers Aim To Crack Down On SLAPP TourismOn-demand recording, February 17, 2020
- WVOW Radio | 101.9FM / 1290AM, February 12, 2020
- Reston, VA, October 9, 2019
- Arlington, VA, July 11, 2019
- Bean, Kinney & Korman | 2300 Wilson Blvd. | 1st Floor Conference Room | Arlington, VA 22201, October 25, 2018
- Solo and Small Firms: Maximize Your SuccessWVU College of Law, September 21, 2018