A penny for your thoughts? More like millions of dollars if it’s the right thought or nothing at all if your intellectual property isn’t properly protected. Sometimes creative value comes from a vision in the middle of the night. More often, it’s the product of endless hours spent toiling away on a keyboard and finally constructing a solution for which there is a ready market. How unfortunate, then, to see the rewards of all that effort slip away with the “trusted” employee, through copyright infringement, or by the poorly drafted licensing agreement.
Working with a range of clients from small software developers, to regional advertising firms, to multinational enterprises, Bean, Kinney & Korman provides knowledgeable intellectual property services including copyrights, trademarks, licensing, advertising law, and more.
Skilled Advice to Protect Your Intellectual Property
The firm offers experienced assistance to its clients throughout Northern Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia and throughout the world with many intellectual property matters, including:
- preparing trademark and copyright applications
- trademark searching, protection, maintenance and enforcement
- guarding trade secrets
- providing intellectual property audits and valuations
- drafting and negotiating sponsorship and promotional agreements
- advising on “cybersquatting” and domain name disputes
- reviewing website terms of service, legal disclosures and privacy policies
- implementing and enforcing employment covenants
- developing data and software licensing agreements
- preparing partnering, affiliation or joint venture documentation
Mergers and Acquisitions
Our intellectual property attorneys are a source of guidance and advice during the mergers and acquisitions process, including:
- due diligence assessment of target company assets
- seller response to issues raised during due diligence
- advice on intellectual property assets throughout negotiation, closing and sale
- intellectual property audits in pre-market preparation
Intellectual Property Disputes and Negotiations
Our lawyers understand both the legal and business issues that arise from intellectual property disputes and negotiations. Whether enforcing your intellectual property rights or defending infringement claims, we can assist you in managing your risks and maximizing your protection, always mindful of your resources and keeping the stakes in perspective.
Types of Clients Served
What kinds of businesses have found the firm to be their trusted advisor on intellectual property matters?
- Advertising and public relations agencies
- Government contractors
- Business consultants
- Data aggregator licensors
- Software developers
- Mobile application developers
- Online retailers
- Industry associations
We welcome the opportunity to assist you with your intellectual property needs.
- Recipeasly promised to ‘fix’ online recipes. After critics called it theft, the site shut down.
The Washington Post, March 2, 2021
- Virginia Employers: Are Your Non-Competes Enforceable?
August 1, 2018
- Data Security in a Technological World
June 3, 2014
- Common Copyright Mistakes Small Businesses Make
BKK Business Law Newsletter, January 1, 2014
- Copyright Law 101
November 1, 2012
- Copyright Law: What Intellectual Property is Protected?
Small Business Trends, September 1, 2012
- Alert for Trademark Owners: Trademark Monitoring and Registration Scams
IP Frontline, June 1, 2012
- U.S. Copyright Termination – A Window is Opening
Intellectual Property Today, May 1, 2012
- Protecting & Registering Your Intellectual Property
BKK Business Law Newsletter, September 1, 2009
- Fair Use or Foul Play? Navigating the Complexities of Copyright Fair Use in the Digital Age
Business Insights, Wednesday May 3, 2023
- Privacy Law Comes to Virginia: How will Virginia’s Consumer Data Protection Act Affect my Business?
Business Insights, Friday November 11, 2022
- Protecting Your Business’s Social Media Accounts
Employment Law, Tuesday August 2, 2022
- Explaining NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) and How the Department of Justice is Cracking Down on NFT Fraud
Business Insights, Tuesday April 12, 2022
- REMINDER – Electronic Registration of DMCA Agent Required By December 31
Business Insights, Thursday December 21, 2017
- R. Scott Caulkins, Patricia Bruce, and Carole Capsalis Join Bean, Kinney & Korman
Tuesday February 8, 2022
- Bean, Kinney & Korman Represents RenXTech LLC in a Transaction with Buchanan & Edwards Inc.
Monday November 29, 2021
- Bean, Kinney & Korman Represents Farm Market iD in Acquisition by DTN
Friday February 26, 2021
- Bean, Kinney & Korman Wins Appeal For Defendant Imagination Entertainment Limited, et al. Regarding the Marketing and Sale of Popular Dice Game “Left Center Right”
Sunday July 26, 2009
- Bean, Kinney & Korman Clients Win Summary Judgment in Trademark Infringement Case
Friday July 25, 2008
- AWE Women in Business Summit
Online, Friday, April 30, 2021
- The Legal Side of Business
Fairfax Business Center, Annandale, VA, Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- “Five Common Advertising Mistakes that Could Break the Law”
4600 Fairfax Drive, Suite 804, Arlington, Virginia, Thursday, October 31, 2013
- “Five Ways to Protect Your Business’s Online Reputation”
Alexandria, Virginia, Wednesday, September 18, 2013
- “Five Ways to Protect Your Business’s Online Reputation” Presentation
Tuesday, July 23, 2013