The George Washington University Law School, J.D. with honors, 1978
Duke University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1975
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 1980
- District of Columbia, 1978
- Maryland, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia,
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- Clerk to Administrative Law Judge Ernst Liebman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
James Schroll, a shareholder at Bean, Kinney & Korman, concentrates his practice in commercial litigation, with an emphasis on enforcement of creditors' rights in both state and federal courts including the bankruptcy court.
Jim’s representation of banks and other lending institutions involves most facets of bankruptcy reorganization proceedings, including complex adversary proceedings, cash collateral hearings, relief from stay, claim objections, contested plan confirmation hearings, and fraudulent conveyance, non-dischargeability and preference actions. He is also experienced in representing purchasers of assets from bankruptcy estates.
In addition to commercial litigation, Jim is experienced in the conduct of real estate foreclosures in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia and in the sale of personal property under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Jim also negotiates and prepares loan documents on behalf of lenders in commercial loan transactions, including loans secured by government contracts. He also advises lenders regarding secured transactions and represents purchasers and sellers of commercial loan documents.
Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law, 2005 – 2019
Leader in the Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2013
Virginia Super Lawyers in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2009 – present
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2010 - present
Washingtonian, Top Lawyer in Bankruptcy, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 & 2018
Virginia Business magazine, Legal Elite in Creditor's Rights, 2016-2107
AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Obtained a no-liability ruling on behalf of a lender in a multi-million dollar fraudulent conveyance action.
- Defeated a multi-million dollar lender liability adversary proceeding and obtained recovery of contested real property on behalf of the lender.
- Obtained "nuisance value" settlement of million dollar preference action for defendant in large retail bankruptcy.
- Virginia Judges Weigh in on Whether Absolute Priority Rule Still Applies in Individual Chapter 11 CasesBankruptcy Law News, Spring 2011
- Bankruptcy Law News Volume XXIV, No. 2, Summer 2009
- "Complex Issues in Bankruptcy: From the Supreme Court to the Practice Court - Tricky Issues in Chapter 11 Cases"Crowne Plaza Richmond West, Richmond, Virginia, March 30, 2012
- August 15, 2019
- April 18, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- April 30, 2018
- August 22, 2017
- Fourteen Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2017 Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsApril 13, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- Eleven Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsApril 7, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- Twelve Attorneys from Bean, Kinney & Korman Recognized as 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsApril 9, 2015
- August 18, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- September 5, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- June 17, 2013
- August 23, 2012
- July 2, 2012
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, February 13, 2012
- September 9, 2011
- June 23, 2011
- September 27, 2010
- Jennifer Brust and James Schroll will teach Secured Finance at George Mason University School of LawAugust 12, 2010
Adjunct Professor, George Mason University School of Law, Secured Finance
- Course explores the law and economic consequences of secured finance with a focus on the Uniform Commercial Code’s Articles 5, 8 and 9.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Virginia State Bar (Board of Governors, Bankruptcy Section, 2003 – 2009; Chair, 2007 -2008)
Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association
Walter Chandler American Inn of Court (Master)
American Bankruptcy Institute
Stuart Educational Foundation (Board of Directors)
A-SPAN Shelter (Volunteer)
Beyond the Suit
Outside of practicing law, Jim enjoys body surfing, golfing, biking and exploring diners and dives.