University of Richmond, J.D., magna cum laude, 2005
University of Pennsylvania, B.A. with honors, 1987
Lewis and Clark School of Law, Animal Law: Legislation, Lobbying and Litigation, 2006
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 2005
- District of Columbia, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court
Ashley Dobbs is a shareholder with Bean, Kinney & Korman, practicing in the areas of intellectual property and business transactions. She focuses on helping clients benefit from their ideas and assets through corporate formation, business transactions and by protecting their intellectual property.
Ashley also actively represents clients in a variety of animal-related matters, including transactional matters and providing for their pets through estate planning. She provides animal-related non-profit organizations pro bono assistance and has served organizations such as the Jane Goodall Institute, the Animal Welfare Institute, the Humane Society of the United States, the Doris Day Animal Foundation and local and national animal welfare organizations.
For 15 years prior to law school, Ashley worked for a large consulting company and several of her own entrepreneurial ventures. She worked with corporate leaders on strategic planning, brand marketing, business process improvement and employee communication. Ashley’s blend of business and legal background gives her a unique focus on the intersection of business and law and the client’s business objectives.
Ashley regularly speaks and is available to speak on a variety of topics including intellectual property, advertising law, business issues and pet trusts. She is also available for keynote speeches.
Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star in Intellectual Property, 2014
Ashley's representative experience includes:
- Counseled start-up organizations with all needs including entity formation, contracts, copyright, trademark, website issues, and general transactions.
- BKK Business Law Newsletter, November 2014
- June 19, 2014
- BKK Business Law Newsletter, January 2014
- WebCents magazine, November 2012
- BKK Business Law Newsletter, November 2012
- Small Business Trends, September 2012
- IP Frontline, June 2012
- Intellectual Property Today, May 2012
- 4600 Fairfax Drive, Suite 804, Arlington, Virginia, October 31, 2013
- Alexandria, Virginia, September 18, 2013
- July 23, 2013
- August 12, 2014
- June 19, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- JD Supra Law News, February 3, 2014
- Ashley Dobbs was quoted in "The One Mistake Startup Entrepreneurs Always Make - A Legal Perspective..."JD Supra Law News, October 25, 2013
- June 1, 2013
- November 27, 2012
- November 10, 2011
Professional & Community Affiliations
Animal Welfare League of Arlington (Board of Directors)
Legal Services of Northern Virginia (Board of Directors)
PetSmart Charities, Inc. (Board of Directors)
American Bar Association (Intellectual Property Law Section; Animal Law Committee Sub-Committee Chair)
D.C. Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association (Past Chair, Legal Services Pro Bono Hotline; Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law Section)
Virginia State Bar
Beyond the Suit
When she isn’t at the firm, Ashley enjoys climbing volcanoes and spending time on animal-related causes with various community events and organizations. In addition, she has two cats with whom she shares her home – Fatty McButter Pants and Itty Bitty Kitty.