University of Miami, LL.M. in Real Property Development, 1999
University of Maryland, J.D., 1995
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.S., 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 2005
- Maryland, 1995
- District of Columbia, 2000
John Kelly is a shareholder of Bean, Kinney & Korman and focuses his practice on general corporate law and real property law, including commercial real estate leasing, financing and acquisitions, and business mergers and acquisitions.
With respect to leasing, John represents both landlords and tenants nationwide in substantial office, retail, industrial and government leasing transactions. John serves on the Board of Editors of Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, a national publication. He has also served as a featured guest on real estate leasing topics on Commercial Real Estate Radio.
His lending experience includes representing both lenders and borrowers in complex financial transactions secured by real or personal property, including the negotiation of the initial loan documents and advising with respect to workout strategies and foreclosures.
John represents sellers, lenders and developers in connection with real estate investments throughout Virginia and Maryland. These transactions involve the construction and development of office buildings, shopping centers, hotels, and other investment-grade properties, including negotiating agreements and the review of due diligence on behalf of both lenders and purchasers.
John also has extensive experience with respect to representing both property owners and telecommunication providers in connection with the drafting and negotiation of antenna tower leases and license agreements on a nationwide basis.
John’s sales and acquisition experience includes the representation of sellers and purchasers of large office properties, hotels and undeveloped land throughout Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
With respect to general corporate law, John serves as outside general counsel for many mid-size local businesses. John also represents business buyers and sellers in connection with sophisticated asset purchase and stock purchase transactions as part of the firm’s mergers and acquisitions practice group.
Before joining the firm as a shareholder, John was an associate with the international law firms Holland & Knight, LLP and then Reed Smith, LP.
- Represented a tenant in the negotiation and drafting of its headquarters office lease for premises located in suburban Maryland consisting of over 100,000 square feet.
- Represents institutional lenders in numerous real estate and asset based loan transactions in amounts ranging from $5 million to $100 million.
- Represents sellers and purchasers in merger and acquisition transactions with sales price amounts from $3 million to $60 million.
- Represents landlords in the negotiation and drafting of office leases for Class A office buildings throughout Virginia and Maryland.
- Represents national retailer tenants in connection with the negotiation and drafting of retail leases throughout the country for premises from 2,500 square feet to over 25,000 square feet.
- John Kelly was interviewed regarding "Lease Acceleration Clauses: Top Issues & Concerns" on Commercial Real Estate Radio with Howard Kline.Commercial Real Estate Radio with Howard Kline, February 2014
- Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, December 2012
- Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, September 2012
- Real Estate Financial Intelligence, June 2012
- Commercial Leasing Law and Strategy, Volume 24, Number 4, October 2011
- Virginia Builder, May 2009
- January 17, 2014
- June 19, 2012
- December 1, 2011
- March 15, 2010
Professional & Community Affiliations
International Council of Shopping Centers
Small and Emerging Contractors Advisory Forum
Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy (Board of Editors)
Shelter House, Inc. (Board of Directors)
Fellowship Square Foundation (Board of Directors)
Beyond the Suit
John lives in Vienna, Virginia with his wife, two young daughters and many pets. John enjoys traveling, reading about history and archaeology, biking to work occasionally and following the Baltimore sports teams (Orioles & Ravens) and the Virginia Tech Hokies.